This guide of what to see in Amsterdam in one day It will help you prepare an itinerary so you don't miss anything from one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
The route, which is also perfect for travelers who only have 24 hours or for your first day in the city, and want to make the most of the time, will take you through most of the city's highlights, taking into account, that the majority of tourist attractions in the city are concentrated in the small historical center and the four channels that surround it, which allows you to reach all of them on foot or by bike.
Based on the time we spent in the city during our trip to Amsterdam, we have made this guide to squeeze the most Amsterdam in one day. We start!
How to go from the airport to the center?
Amsterdam-Schiphol Airport, located 15 kilometers from the city, is one of the most modern in the world and has all these options to make the transfer to your hotel or to the city center:
- Train: the train, operating 24 hours, will take you to the center (Central Station) in 20 minutes for 5 euros.
- Bus 197 and N97 (night): these two lines make the journey to the center (Leidseplein, Museumplein and Rijksmuseum) in half an hour for 5 euros.
- Shuttle: The Schiphol Hotel Shuttle will leave you at any hotel located on this list for 17 euros or 28 euros, if you take a round trip.
- Private transfer: When booking this transfer here a driver will be waiting for you at the airport raising a sign with your name and will take you directly to the door of your hotel in half an hour, depending on traffic.
- Cab: It has a price of about 45 euros.
For more information about the transfer you can check this post on how to get from Amsterdam airport to downtown.
Recommended hotel Amsterdam
Keep in mind that accommodation in Amsterdam in the downtown area and on the banks of the main canals is quite expensive, so it is advisable to book several months in advance to find a good price.
We recommend the Singel Hotel, located on the edge of the most beautiful canal in the city and 200 meters from the Central Station. In addition to good communication with the airport and the historic center, the hotel has a 24-hour reception, a full breakfast buffet and one of the best quality / price ratios in the city.
Other useful tips that can help you prepare Amsterdam in one day:
- To learn more about the history of the city and not miss anything important, we recommend you book this free tour of Amsterdam for free! or this bike tour, both with a guide in Spanish.
- Be attentive before crossing any street, the bikes and trams are very quiet and you can take an unpleasant surprise with one of them.
- Try bitterballen, fried meatballs served with mustard somewhere.
- Check if you find it profitable to buy the I Amsterdam City Card, which includes public transport and numerous tourist attractions such as the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh museum, the canal cruise, among others.
- Remember that the plugs are the same type as the Spanish, so you will not need to carry an adapter.
- The Amsterdam route in 24 hours It is quite dense in activities, so if you have more time, it is advisable to distribute the visits between more days.
- If you do not want to pay commissions when withdrawing money from ATMs and always have the current exchange, we recommend using the N26 card to pay and the BNEXT card to get money, our two favorite cards for travel.
You can find much more information in the post of the best cards to travel without commissions.
- Complete this list of the best things to do in Amsterdam and this places to visit in Amsterdam.
- If you have more time you can complete this selection of places to see in Holland essential.
For more recommendations you can consult this post of tips to travel to Amsterdam essential.
What to see in Amsterdam in one day
The first day of what to see in Amsterdam in one day Start early leaving the hotel and take a pleasant walk along the Singel Canal. This channel, next to Herengracht, are for us the most beautiful in the city and we assure you, it is worth spending time to see the beautiful facades of the buildings on the shore, the floating houses on the canal and for a good beer Handcrafted in a charming terrace.
Map of the Amsterdam route in 24 hours