This San Francisco guide in two days is prepared and optimized thinking of travelers who have a weekend or for the first 2 days in this city considered the most European from the United States.
Although we know that it is difficult to know the city well in this short space of time, we believe that if you optimize the itineraries well, you can visit most of the tourist attractions and enjoy the best experiences that San Francisco offers in addition to discovering one of the cities more Pretty from the United States.
After visiting the first day symbolic places of San Francisco such as the Golden Gate, Alcatraz Island and Fisherman's Wharf, this second day we propose to make a route through some of the essential neighborhoods such as Castro, Mission and Haight Ashbury, to end the day climbing in the best viewpoint of the city, Twin Peaks.
Having as reference the 4 days we spent in the city, during our trip through the National Parks of the Western United States, we have made this guide of what to see in San Francisco in 2 days. We start!
How to get from the airport to San Francisco
San Francisco has an international airport, four terminals connected by a free train and these means of transport to make the transfer to the hotel:
- Bus: You have the numbers 292, 398, KX and 397 (night bus) to reach several downtown stops in one hour for $ 2.25.
- Subway: BART will take you downtown in half an hour for about $ 9.
- Cab: will leave you at the hotel, depending on traffic and location, in 40 minutes for $ 55.
- Private transfer: Booking this comfortable direct transfer a driver will take you directly from the airport to the door of your hotel.
For more information on the transfer you can check this post on how to go from San Francisco airport to downtown.
Where to sleep
Our recommended hotel and where we stayed during our stay in the city is the Grant Hotel, located 5 minutes walk from Union Square and 10 minutes from Chinatown. In addition to having good communication with the airport, the hotel has a tram stop a few meters and several bus stops in Union Square, which allows you to reach all the points of interest of this route through San Francisco in two days.
The accommodation also has parking and has an excellent quality / price ratio, taking into account the high prices of hotels in San Francisco.
Useful tips for San Francisco
These list of tips will help you have a good first contact with the city and the country:
- Remember that it is mandatory to get the ESTA, which costs $ 14, to enter any city in the United States at least 3 days in advance. Do not forget to always do it from the official website.
- Both this route of San Francisco in two days and that of San Francisco in one day are quite intense, so it is advisable if you have more time, dedicate more days to complete each of the itineraries.
- Do not take risks and take the best travel insurance for the United States, think that a medical consultation can cost more than 500 dollars and an operation more than 20,000 dollars.
- Adapters are required for type A / B plugs.
- Check if you get profitable for San Francisco in 2 days, book the Go San Francisco Card that includes attractions such as the boat ride on the bay and the tourist bus.
Another interesting option is to take the San Francisco Explorer Pass card that offers free admission to 3, 4 or 5 of the main attractions of the city.
- A good way in the United States so that you do not charge commissions and always have the current change, is to use the N26 card to pay in business and the BNEXT card to get money from the ATMs.
- If you want to have internet in San Francisco, a good option is to buy a Holafly SIM card, with which you will have internet from the moment you land, several GB of data, keeping your WhatsApp number and support service in Spanish. You can buy your Holafly prepaid SIM card here with a 5% discount for being our reader.
For more recommendations you can consult this post of tips to travel to San Francisco essential.
First day in San Francisco
The route of the first day of San Francisco in two days Start early at the Battery East viewpoint watching the impressive Golden Gate. If you have a car or bike, you can cross the bridge and get to the Battery Spencer, where you get the best views of the bridge with the city in the background.
After the visit to the bridge, you can take a bus to Pier 33, from where boats leave to Alcatraz Island. Remember that in order not to run out of places during the visit to this famous prison, it is essential to book the entrance on this official page or this city tour that includes the visit, preferably several months in advance.
Map of the route through San Francisco in 2 daysSharePinTweetSendSend