This guide of what to see in Porto in one day It is perfect for your first day in the city or for travelers who only have 24 hours and want to make the most of the time in this charming city.
The first thing is to keep in mind that although it is a short time, the old town of Porto is quite small and all the points of interest are separated by a short distance, so you can easily walk, something that will save you a lot of time.
In this case, in addition to visiting the old town, you can complete the routes around the city with a boat trip on the Duero River and a tour on the historic tram, which can take you to points further away from the center, such as the beaches of Foz from Douro.
Based on the time we spent in the city during our trip to Porto and Guimaraes, we have made this guide to know what best of Porto in a day. We start!
How to get from the airport to Porto
To make the transfer from the Porto Airport, located 12 kilometers, to the city center or to your hotel you have these options:
- Subway: Line E, which operates from 06h to 01h, will take you in half an hour to the Trindade stop, located in the center, for less than 2 euros.
- Bus: the Terravision bus will leave you in half an hour in the center (Avenida dos Aliados) for 5 euros. This option is faster by having the arrivals of the flights synchronized with the departure of the buses, than if you use local lines 601, 602 and 604.
- Cab: The taxi has a fare that moves between 20 and 30 euros, depending on the location of your accommodation.
- Private transport: It is the most comfortable option, even cheaper than the taxi and also a driver will wait for you at the terminal, with a sign with your name, which will take you directly to the hotel door. You can book it here.
For more detailed information about the transfer you can check this as going from Porto airport to downtown.
Where to sleep in Porto
A magnificent accommodation in Porto, with good metro and bus communication with the airport, is the Universal Hotel. We stayed here and besides being located on the famous Avenida dos Aliados, it is only 5 minutes walk from the Clérigos Tower. The hotel in addition to its magnificent location, perfect to know Porto in one dayIt has a 24-hour reception, a delicious buffet breakfast and one of the best quality / price ratios in the city.
Tips for a trip to Porto
This list of practical tips from Porto will help you prepare the trip:
- Follow this list of essential places to visit in Porto and this one of the best things to do in Porto.
- If it is your first time in the city and you want to know its interesting history, we recommend you book one of the best free tours of Porto like this one in which you tour the historic center with a guide in Spanish Free !.
- A good option for this Porto in 24 hours is to book the tourist bus, which stops at all points of interest in the city.
- See if it is profitable to buy the Porto Card that offers discounts of up to 50% in various tourist attractions and unlimited public transport.
- If you do not want to pay commissions when withdrawing money from ATMs and always have the current exchange, we recommend using the N26 card to pay and the BNEXT card to get money, our two favorite cards for travel.
You can find much more information in the post of the best cards to travel without commissions.
- If you have more time and want to make a route through the country we advise you to read this list of tips for traveling to Portugal.
For more recommendations you can consult this post of tips to travel to Porto essential.
Porto in one day
The Porto route in one day It starts early in the morning arriving at the Bolhao Market, which opens at 7 in the morning where you can enjoy a two-storey market from the beginning of the 19th century, where you will find around its central courtyard, numerous places to buy Fresh products, flowers, plants, souvenirs, wines and cheeses.
When you leave the market you can take a walk along Avenida dos Aliados, which next to Praça da Liberdade, form the main square of the city. This large space is surrounded by modernist buildings, which highlights the City Hall and the curious McDonalds, which has maintained the architectural style of the street.
A few meters from this square is the beautiful Neoclassical train station of San Bento, famous for its fantastic murals composed of more than 20,000 tiles, which you can not miss as it is also one of the most beautiful stations in the world.
Map of the first day of Porto in two days