Day 8: Semuc Champey
A few minutes past 7 when we go out to our small terrace and see how little by little the day begins to clear, along with the fog with which we had dawned, giving us a unique and wonderful environment in which we are starting this new year, a year full of projects and above all full of desire to maintain life as we have been leading this last year.- From the Portal of Semuc Champey there are 4 minutes walk to the door of the Pozas of Semuc Champey, place where the pools themselves and the viewpoint are located, from where you have the views that we have all seen at some time when we have searched for information on this place
- He entrance fee to Semuc Champey It is 50 quetzals per person that give you access to the pools and the viewpoint.
- Once on the site you have two possibilities: go directly to the pools on a 10-minute path or climb to the viewpoint on a path of about 40 minutes plus another 30-40 downhill that take you directly to the area of the pools that Then you can go through the water (swimming and sliding between them) or through a path that runs parallel.
- In very advisable to wear hiking boots to climb the viewpoint, especially when it rains, since the roads are practically impractical, slippery and not too safe.
In several sections you will see that there are ropes to hold on to avoid falls. While the ascent and descent can be done without problem, if you go quietly, there are some sections that if you suffer from vertigo, they are a bit complicated.
- On the way to the viewpoint you will find stores that sell soft drinks, water, 10 quetzals, fruit and snacks. Prices are quite tight, counting that every day they have to get there to sell them to tourists. It is up to you to bring drinks from the hotel or buy them directly on the road.
- Another thing you can not forget is the swimsuit and towel to enjoy the pools.
- Right at the entrance to the pools you have the possibility of leaving your belongings in locked lockers. Just opposite there is also a shower and toilet service.
- Our advice is that you go up early in the morning, before the sun begins to rise, since the path with the high sun can be exhausting. Similarly, we met many people who went first to the pools to bathe and then to the viewpoint. In our experience it is best to do the opposite: first go to the viewpoint first thing in the morning and then go down directly to the pools, to end the visit enjoying a good bath.
After the bath you can follow the river
The best option is to go up first to the viewpoint, then down the opposite side, go to the pools and from here follow the path parallel to the Cahabón river until you reach the entrance of Semuc Champey, finally seeing the cave in which the river hides
We leave the Portal of Semuc Champey, turning right and finding several places where you can buy or eat something, which at this time in the morning already begin with their activities.FULL ITINERARY